SpaceX and NASA have confirmed that an “anomaly” occurred yesterday during a static fire test of the SuperDraco engines on SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft. The Crew Dragon spacecraft has eight SuperDraco engines that are used for its abort system in case of an emergency during launch or ascent to orbit. SpaceX is readying for an in-flight abort test as part of its preparations for commercial crew flights to the International Space Station (ISS).
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the week of April 21-27, 2019 and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess this week, except for pro forma sessions. They return for legislative business next week.
Margaret Kivelson is the new chair of the Space Studies Board (SSB) of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. She succeeds Fiona Harrison who stepped down in order to co-chair the ongoing Decadal Survey on Astronomy and Astrophysics. Harrison was the first woman to chair SSB in its 61-year history. Now Kivelson is the second.
NASA released crew assignments for the International Space Station (ISS) through spring 2020 today. Notable by their absence are flights by the two U.S. commercial crew companies, SpaceX and Boeing. NASA had hoped that U.S. launches of ISS crews would begin this year. Instead, U.S. crew members will be staying for longer periods of time, including what will be a record-breaking mission by Christina Koch. She will remain for almost 11 months, returning in February 2020 instead of this fall.
The Science and Technology Policy Institute’s (STPI’s) independent analysis of the possibility of sending humans to Mars in 2033 concludes that it is “infeasible under all budget scenarios and technology development and testing schedules.” It might be possible for such a mission to depart Earth in 2037, but 2039 is more realistic, the report says. “Mars 2033” became a rallying cry for some human spaceflight enthusiasts during the Obama Administration and although NASA’s plans have changed quite a bit since then, a sizable Mars-or-bust community remains.
Here are SpacePolicyOnline.com’s tidbits for April 15, 2019: Beresheet 2 already in the works; Falcon Heavy core stage tips over; Apollo 11’s Mike Collins wants “JFK Direct” to Mars; Skylab and shuttle astronaut Owen Garriott passes away. Be sure to check our website for feature stories and follow us on Twitter (@SpcPlcyOnline) for more news and live tweeting of events.
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the next TWO weeks, April 14-27, 2019, and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess until April 29, except for pro forma sessions.
Almost two dozen members of the Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC) quizzed four top military and civilian Pentagon leaders for more than two hours today about why a Space Force is needed and how much it will cost. In the end, there was no consensus from either Republicans or Democrats. Most seem to remain unconvinced that it will add value instead of just more bureaucracy, but are open to further discussions.
The Israeli Beresheet lunar lander failed to make a soft landing on the Moon today, but the effort, led by Israeli non-profit SpaceIL, is being widely hailed nonetheless. Although it did not win the $20 million Google Lunar X-Prize, the X-Prize Foundation decided to award the SpaceIL team $1 million anyway in recognition of reaching lunar orbit. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine and Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin were among those praising SpaceIL and encouraging them to keep trying.
NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said today that NASA is dividing its human lunar exploration program into two phases. Phase 1, to be completed by 2024 as directed by the White House, will focus on getting astronauts to the lunar surface fast. Phase 2, by 2028, will focus on making the program sustainable. The plan itself remains the same as before, but the Administration will request funding to accelerate it by 4 years.
- KALEIDOSCOPE LADIES NAVY blueE TEXTURED FABRIC RUCHED DRESS SIZE BRAND NEW
- Nanette Lepore colorful hawaiin dress tropical sz 4 exposed zip red bright
- O'NEILL SURFER SUMMER RED FLORAL DRESS SIZE S-M MIDI BUTTONED
- Susana Monaco Mini Dress Size XS bluee Ruffle Dress One Shoulder
- 3x1 jeans women size 26 distressed skinny in foxtred wash new
- Agent Provocateur Izzy Set 32C 1 Or 2
- Commando Sexy & Smoothing Thong SS101 SS101
- Free People Rolling On The River Jeans 26 New Woman Red Wide Leg Ankle
- Just Cavalli Women's Sage Green Mid Rise Skinny Leg Jeans Size 24
- MUNKI MUNKI PRINT BAMBOO FLANNEL PAJAMAS SNOW ANGELS (white purple) S
- NWT VICTORIA'S SECRET SEXY NO WIRE BRA 38D WHITE STUNNING
- SHIRT MARJOLAINE model TEMPTATION 100%SILK color NUDE CAMELIA T. 40 42
- We All Shine By MINKPINK Tared Reader Dress Size M
- 12045-41132 Jeans Regular men Andrew Charles Denim JAN Denim Waist 31 - Lenght
- Athleta Chelsea Cargo Pant Light Asphalt SZ 6 Tall 6T 594971 NEW
- Chloe Pants Navy Cropped Trousers With Cuff Size 34 Nwt
- Emilo Pucci Satin Pants 42 US 8 NWT
- Gorgeous Nicole Miller Artelier wide led waist fitted, classy style sz2
- JOE'S Pants 212451 Grey 23
- Lehenga Choli Bridal Ghagra Dupatta Set Indian Bollywood Ethnic Traditional
- Mint Raspberries Lularoe Leggings Mommy & Me Tall Curvy & S M New
- NEW Women's W.Lane Eyelet Trim Pant
- NWT Ralph Lauren Tatali Stone Capri Pants Women's Size 14
- Primawomen Swim Cóctel Bikini sizenslip
- Saks Fifth Avenue-NEW-White Cotton Lycra-Flat Waisted-Narrow Leg-Classics-Sz.10
- The Limited Vintage Floral Linen Wrap Skirt Size 4
- Volcom Women's Native Drift 1 Piece Bathing Suit, Burnt Sienna, X-Small
- Acevog Women Dress Summer Autumn Casual Long Sleeve Kneelength Femme Robe
- Boden Ladies GORGEOUS Vanda Broderie Dress Size UK size 8R RRP Brand new
- FOSSIL 100% SILK DRESS IN GREEN POLKA DOTS, BRAND NEW SIZE 6
- LAURA BIAGIOTTI Woman Dress Cotton Woman Cotton Dress Sz. S - 42
- New Pepperberry Bravissimo 8 - 18 Annie Teal bluee Aline Floral Jersey Tea Dress
- ProSphere Women's Georgia State University Ripple Dress (GSU)
- Triumph Souple Sensation P Soutien-Gorge Rembourré white (0003) 40c Cs
- Women Vintage Long Dress Long Sleeve Party Ball Gown Dress Slim Bowknot Swing
- ARZ1 Women‘s Armani Jeans bluee Slim Fit Jeans Size W27 L32
- DIESEL EAZEE Relaxed Boyfriends Jeans Size 26 - Size 28 NEW TAGS 0830W
- Women Dress Summer 2018 Luxury Knitting Silm Dresses Wholesale Occident Elegant
- 5 Pcs Mix Skirt Lot Vintage Style Silk Wrap Skirts Indian Magic Silk Wrap Skirt
- BALMAIN jeans PRE-Owned size FR 42
- GATTINA Nachthemd kurz Wäschegröße 40 weiss Modal Elasthan 389923
- La Perla Studio purpleta 32D Bodysuit Teddy Royal bluee New
- New La Perla Glamour SILK with lace Bra size D 85B US 38 I 4
- Panache Women's Evie Strapless Bra
- The 1 for U Ruby 100% Cotton Victorian Sleeveless Nightgown 7 Sizes White